When starting a party planning business you will be responsible for planning the different aspects of a party or event. As a party planner you will be creating the look and feel of the party with job duties including finding a location for the party, order catering, set up decorations, send out invitations, keep track of budget spending, find entertainers and more. You may be asked to plan a wide variety of parties and events including fund raisers, private parties, business events, open houses and more. When starting a party planning business you can decide to concentrate on specific types of parties such as kid parties or corporate gatherings or plan a wide range of parties.
Where will you work?
When starting a party planning business expect to work in a variety of places. You may have to go to the homes of your clients to consult with them or they can come to you. You will have to travel to the different venues where the parties will be located. You will also have to meet with the different service providers such as catering business or entertainers. Your party planning business can be started from your home.
Costs for starting a party planning business are very low. You will need a reliable vehicle to get to the party venues and meet with different service providers as well as clients. You can set up an office for your party planning business in your home. When starting a party planning business you should buy a notebook to keep contact information for party service providers as well as party venues.
Tips for Starting a Party Planning Business
- Skills– You do not need a college degree to be a party planner however being able to handle stress, unexpected incidents and being able to deal with your clients’ demands and budget will be extremely useful. A party planner must be organized and have a back up plan in case the unexpected happens.
- Experience– Before starting a party planning business get experience by working for one. You can learn useful tips and gain valuable experience by working with professionals in the field.
- Contacts– When starting a party planning business you should have a list of good contacts. Be informed of local caterers, bartenders, party suppliers, party locations and entertainment companies. Have lists of prices for these services. Have their contact information as well.
- Know your limits– Know what you can handle and what you can’t. Don’t take on a party that will be too big. Don’t take on too many parties at once. Only take on parties that you know you can perform your very best. When starting a party planning business you may want to start out planning small gatherings and parties for friends and family before expanding to bigger parties.
- Portfolio– Create a portfolio to show future potential clients. Take pictures of events you’ve planned and ask for references from satisfied customers.
You can advertise your business through the methods listed below. I recommend experimenting with various methods and keep track of which methods are more effective for your business. Stick with the methods that are bringing you high returns and get rid of the ones that don’t.
- Flyers– Determine if you can put up flyers in local grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants, community centers, party venues and party supply stores. It is best to ask the owner of these businesses for permission first. Also hand out flyers to passer byes on the street.
- Party Planner Business Cards– Create business cards and hand them whenever an opportunity appears. Network as much as possible. Seek recommendations from friends and family.
- Yahoo Local Searches– If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service in your local area your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches– Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Fund raisers and Charities– Donate your services to local fund raisers and charities in order to gain publicity.
- Newspaper classified ads– Newspaper ads in your local newspaper can help bring attention to your party planning business.
- Website– You can decide to develop a website to provide clients with access to general information about your party planning business. You can also provide pictures of events you planned on your website.
- Yellow Pages– Consider buying an advertisement in the yellow pages of your local phone book. You can also include your business in the online version: YellowPages.com.