When starting a house painting business your job duty will be to paint walls, ceilings and surfaces requested by your clients. You must know how to protect carpets, floors, windows, door knobs and furniture so they don’t get damaged with paint. You must also know about painting on a variety of different surfaces. For example your business should know what paint to use for painting on tiles or metal.
Where will you work
You will be working in various different locations but mostly in the houses of your customers. However your painting services does not have to be limited to only houses. You can provide your services to schools, businesses, churches, ect. You can decide to have an office for your business located at home or elsewhere.
Your painting business will need painting equipment such as rollers, brushes, painter’s tape, paint trays, paint color samples and ladders. It will be more efficient for you to buy the paint after your customers tell you what color they want. You can decide to purchase or rent a paint sprayer as well. You will also need a reliable van or truck to transport your equipment.
Tips for Starting a House Painting Business
- Gain Experience– Before starting your business it is a good idea to gain experience. Consider getting experience from working in other house painting companies. Learn about different types of paints. Learn how to effectively protect floors and property when painting. Learn and gain experience painting on various surfaces.
- Get necessary licenses and permits– contact your local and state government offices to find out what license or permit you need to legally operate your business in your area.
- Get Insurance– Consider purchasing insurance to protect you and your business from liability should an accident occur. Since being exposed to some paints can be harmful to your health also consider getting breathing masks.
- Build your portfolio– Take pictures of your work to show future potential customers. Ask happy customers if they can provide you with referrals for future potential customers.
- Research new techniques– Keep up with trends in the house painting industry. Learn about painting techniques such as stenciling, stamping and faux effects.
When starting a house painting business you can advertise through the following methods:
- Flyers– Determine if you can put up flyers in local grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants, community centers and home improvement stores. It is best to ask the owner of these businesses for permission first. Also hand out flyers to passer byers on the street.
- House Painting Business Cards– Create business cards and hand them whenever an opportunity appears. Network as much as possible. Seek recommendations from friends and family.
- Yellow Pages– Consider buying an advertisement in the yellow pages of your local phone book. You can also include your business in the online version: YellowPages.com.
- Local.com Having a listing at Local.com can help people that are searching for your service or product locally find you.
- Yahoo Local Searches– If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service in your local area your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches– Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Newspaper classified ads– Consider advertising your house painting business in the local newspaper.
- Form a Partnership– Consider forming a partnership with local interior designers or construction companies. You can offer these repeat customers a discounted rate. Just make sure the rate is not too low; underpricing your service can result in business failure.
- Website– You can decide to develop a website to provide clients with access to general information about your house painting business.