When starting an indoor playroom business first thing you need to do is research all the pertinent laws and regulations regarding running a children’s playroom in your area. The county and state license bureaus are a good place to start. You will need to be good both with children and dealing with the parents. You will need to know how much square feet and staff is needed per child. You need to keep up to date on children’s safety issues. You will be responsible for training the staff and re-training when necessary. You will be constantly tweaking the configuration of your play areas to best meet the needs of various children. When starting an indoor playroom business you will also need to add variety to your programming to keep children from getting bored. Attending workshops to keep informed of all the latest trends in children’s recreation will be helpful.
Where will you work?
When starting an indoor playroom business you will, of course, need to set up your business where there is a concentration of children in the community. A community, in which there is a lot households with two working parents would be good. A location near a school would be good, so that parents could easily drop off their children after school and the location is bound to be familiar if easily accessed from a school.
When starting an indoor playroom business you will need to pay for licensing fees and for consultations from a qualified lawyer. You will probably have to pay for a space by the square foot. You should also consider all the costs that are connected to staff. There will also be the initial costs of the play equipment.
Tips for Starting an Indoor Playroom Business
- Be reliable– Make sure you keep good records on all the children – medical needs, emergency contact numbers, etc.
- Identify your knowledge and skills– You may have had much success playing with children, but you need to make sure you know (or hire someone who knows) about child development and safety.
- Hire employees– Make sure you do thorough background checks on your employees
Build a collection of testimonial- As you progress in your business have satisfied clients write testimonials.
- Do your research– Find out what the needs are of the community for children’s play areas. What play-care alternatives are local parents looking for in the community?
- Have clear guidelines– Set minimum and maximum ages for children.
- Be prepared – Have financing to cover first six to twelve months of business. Make sure you have a napping area, and facilities for cooking and eating.
- Be professional– Not only consider fun and safety, but also learning opportunities.
Advertising an Indoor Playroom Business
- Word-of-Mouth – When starting an indoor playroom business word of mouth can be a very effective advertising strategy. Tell everyone you know about your services. Ask current clients to reccomend your services. You can even offer discounts to customers who refer other people.
- Flyers– Determine if you can put up flyers in local grocery stores, community centers, children’s clothing stores, toy stores and elementary schools. It is best to ask the owner of these businesses for permission first. Also hand out flyers to passer byers on the street.
- Indoor Playroom Business Cards– Create business cards and hand them whenever an opportunity appears.
- Look online– Take advantage of online sites such as craigslist.org to advertise your services and find clients.
- Newspaper classified ads– Newspaper ads in your local newspaper can help get the word out about your indoor playroom business business.
- Yahoo Local Searches– If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service in your local area your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches– Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Website– A website is a great way to provide customers and potential customers with general information about your indoor playroom business. You can use adwords or other internet marketing strategies to market your website and gain new customers.