Before starting a residential care facility you should be aware that there are a variety of residential care facilities, ranging from child foster care to taking care of the elderly to the mentally ill, to taking care of adults with various disabilities.
When starting a residential care facility you will be responsible for taking care of the individuals assigned to your home. You will need to know how to be compliant with the regulations. When starting a residential care facility you will have to hire workers with the right qualifications. You and your workers will have to be trained in conflict resolution and other pertinent skills. You and your staff will be helping out your residents with their daily hygiene and other daily needs. You will also have to plan out various recreational activities for the residents. You might also provide or coordinate rehabilitation and other needed services. You can either care for the patient in their home or provide car at your own house or separate location.
Where will you work?
When starting a residential care facility you can locate in your house or some other location. The area must have zoning laws which allow for a residential care facilities. You can also decide to care for a patient individually at their own home. You can contact various nursing homes and hospitals for getting clients for your residential care facility. If you live in an area with a high population of senior citizens you may find families who are looking for some adult daycare facility for providing care to their senior family members.
Starting a residential care facility requires sufficient funds. If you will not be using your home you will need to rent out a house having individual bedrooms and enough bathrooms. You will have to provide daily meals for the residents. You will also need a small trained staff to assist you in various tasks of your residential care facility. You can also hire volunteers for helping you out in this matter. You will have to provide a variety of recreational opportunities for your residents. You may want to provide media equipment, such as a television, music player, computers with internet connections etc. You can also entertain the patients by contacting local music bands to perform at your residential care facility. You can opt for volunteers teaching arts and crafts.
Starting a Residential Care Facility Business Tips
Be patient and strong– When starting a residential care facility, be prepared for stressful and most demanding days. You should be physically and emotionally strong yourself in order to care for the patients. Remember you will be working with some ill patients also, so opt for this work if you think you can handle some unpleasant things including body fluids. You should also be capable of handling aggressive patients.
Be prepared to handle emergencies– When starting a residential care facility you should be prepared for emergencies. The patients in your residential care facility may have vision or hearing impairments. Some patients will have mobility issues. So be prepared to handle any emergencies accordingly; you should have proper plans for evacuation of the patients and sending them to safe locations.
Be prepared to visit other health vicinities– For getting clients for your residential care facility you can visit the local health fairs. You will be able to find many seniors looking for residential care services. You can also build relationships with social workers and volunteers at hospitals. They will be more than happy to provide you information about prospective customers.
Advertising a Residential Care Facility
When advertising your residential care facility you can try different forms of advertising methods and keep track of which ones are giving you the best results.
- Residential Care Facility Business Cards-Hand out your Business Cards whenever an opportunity appears
- Flyers– Determine if you can put up flyers in local grocery stores, bakeries and restaurants. It is best to ask the owner of these businesses for permission first. Also hand out flyers to passer byes on the street and place them on car windshields.
- Yellow Pages– Consider buying an advertisement in the yellow pages of your local phone book. You can also include your business in the online version: YellowPages.com.
- Yahoo Local Searches– If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches– Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Newspaper classified ads– Newspaper ads in your local newspaper can bring awareness to your care facility.
- Website– A website is important to provide people with general information about your care facility.