When starting a pet consultant business your job mainly would be of an advisor and a consultant for various issues related to pets. You will be providing advice to your clients about the health and nutritional needs of their pets as well as training, breeding, and grooming of their pets. You would also be advising on various pet behaviors, etc. You will be reviewing their pets’ feeding practices and will be suggesting balanced diet plans for their pets. You can provide consulting services related to aggression in pets, separation anxiety issues and obedience training.
When starting a pet consultation business you can offer pet day care services also in addition to providing consulting services. You will need to be constantly researching the latest findings in pet care and understanding pet behaviors. You will need to know what specialists to refer for various problems that occur in pets. You can provide consulting services for family pets regarding their behavior, nutrition and training etc. You can also help out veterinarians. You can contact pet food companies to hire your consulting services. You can offer assistance to pet trainers in their training sessions. You can give counseling for pre-adoption of pets. You can also contact zoos and offer them your consulting services for taking care of the animals’ nutrition.
Choosing a Location
When starting a pet consultant business depending on your preferences, you can work in rural or urban settings. You can set up a mobile service, where you go to where the pets are living; or you can set up a small office in which clients can bring in their pets for observation.
Starting a pet consultant business will involve fewer costs. You can rent a one-room office and partition it into two – one partition serving as your office and the other partition serving as the reception or the waiting area. You will need some sitting arrangement for the clients and office desk and chair for yourself. You can place an examination table for the pet too. Moreover you will require a telephone line for communicating with clients and other pet related business. You can also hire someone to build a website where people can find information about your business.
Starting a Pet Consultant Business Tips
- Reputation is key– you will need to build your reputation among the clients as a one-stop consulting service for all the pet related problems of the clients.
- Know who to best refer your clients to– you will need to refer your clients to various niche experts for further consultation. You can charge a small fee from those services to which you refer your clients regarding their pet issues.
- Be knowledgeable– When starting a pet consultant business it is important that you are knowledgeable on the wide range of topics relating to pets, this way you can answer your clients’ questions. You don’t need to know it all, nobody can, however you should be able to research to find the answers. You should know general information about a wide range of topics relating to pets ranging from nutrition to grooming to recommending a kennel. Constantly seek and analyze new information about health, nutrition, breeding and grooming of various pets.
Advertising a Pet consultant Business
When starting a pet consultant business test various forms of advertising to see which are the most effective for your business in your location. Keep the advertising methods that are paying off and dump the ones that are not.
- Form Partnerships– Network with dog trainers and breeders in your local area and form partnerships. Offer them commission for referring your service or offer to refer their services in exchange.
- Pet Consultant Business Cards– Give out your business card whenever an opportunity appears. Network as much as possible.
- Flyers– Determine if you can put up flyers in local grocery stores, pet stores, pet supply stores, dog grooming centers, veterinarian offices, parks and community centers. It is best to ask the owner of these businesses for permission first. You can conduct a search on a search engine such as Google to locate these businesses in your zip code or local area. Also hand out flyers to passer byes on the street.
- Yahoo Local Searches– If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches– Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Website– You can decide to develop a website to provide clients with access to general information about your pet consultant business.
- Newspaper classified ads– You can consider advertising in newspaper ads in your local newspaper. However since newspaper ads can be expensive, experiment with them first. See if they bring you customers and if it is worth their cost.
- Online Marketing– Write informative articles about pets for websites such as ehow.com and blogger.com to demonstrate your expertise in the field. Answer questions on forums relating to pets.
- Website– You can decide to have a website to provide customers with general information about your business.