Job duties for a house cleaning business includes vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, washing dishes, washing kitchen floors, washing bathroom floors, cleaning toilet, dusting, wiping surfaces and keeping the area tidy. Your house cleaning business can decide to offer laundry services as well but it is not necessary. You will be trusted with personal belongings and often times be given the keys to your client’s home. You must be responsible and trust worthy.
Where will you work
Houses, Apartments, Condos. Studios, Offices and more. Your cleaning business can clean personal spaces such as homes as well as commercial spaces such as offices. Your business can decide to concentrate just on cleaning personal spaces. You can offer your services to a certain county, city or state. You must have reliable transportation to your area of work.
Some clients will have their own cleaning supplies but not all therefore you should be prepared with the essential cleaning equipment. Cleaning Equipment includes: sanitizers, polishers, cleaning products and a vacuum cleaner with a traveling case. If the client does not have a broom and mop you would have to bring one of your own. If your house cleaning business offers laundry services you can purchase laundry detergent, bleach and fabric softener; however clients usually have this supplied.
Local advertisements is the best way to advertise your house cleaning business if you plan on providing your services locally. You can advertise your house cleaning business through the following methods:
- Flyers– Determine if you can put up flyers in local grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants and day-cares. It is best to ask the owner of these businesses for permission first. Also hand out flyers to passer byes on the street.
- House Cleaning Business Cards– Create business cards and hand them whenever an opportunity appears.
- Yellow Pages– Consider buying an advertisement in the yellow pages of your local phone book. You can also include your business in the online version: YellowPages.com.
- Local.com Having a listing at Local.com can help people that are searching for your service or product locally find you.
- Yahoo Local Searches– If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches– Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Local Events– Take advantage of local events in your area to advertise your cleaning business. Parades for example is a great place for you to hand out free promotional items such as t-shirts and pens with your business name and contact information.
- Website– You can decide to develop a website to provide clients with access to general information about your house cleaning business.
- Newspaper classified ads– Newspaper ads in your local newspaper can be very effective in advertising your cleaning business.
Protect your business from liability– You should get your house cleaning business bonded and fully insured before taking on any clients. You will be working in the living spaces of your clients and will be trusted with their valuables. A client may expect you to pay for something you accidentally broke. A client can also decide to sue you if they think you stole something. That is why it is a good idea to get insurance to cover incidents like these. When you hire house cleaners for your business be sure to conduct background checks to ensure they can be trusted not to steal.
Green cleaning is cleaning without the use of chemically-reactive and toxic cleaning products that do harm to the environment. Green Cleaning is a new trend in the house cleaning industry. People are becoming more conscious of the environment and are seeking environmentally safe ways of doing things. Just as hybrid cars are growing in popularity so is green cleaning.