When starting a handyman business you may be asked to do a variety of jobs including fixing, building, installations and painting. Don’t be fooled by the name, a handyman business can be started by both men and women. As a handyman you should have a broad range of knowledge about conducting repairs or installations around the house. If you are a Jack or Jill of all trades starting a handyman business may be a good fit for you. A handyman must be able to asses the problem and figure out a way to solve and repair it in a timely manner. They must also be able to give a reasonable estimate before starting the job.
Where will you work?
When starting a handyman business you can decide to market your service to residential or commercial clients or both. Residential clients are individuals who often need help or repairs around their own homes. Commercial clients can consist of businesses both big and small who need your handyman services. You can decide to offer your handyman service in a certain city or county. You can decide how far you are willing to travel for clients, however it would be wise not to spend too much time traveling to different locations.
When starting a handyman business you will need a vehicle to travel to the different locations you will work. You should also have basic tools to complete basic repairs. If you need further equipment when completing special projects such as tiling a floor, clients should pay you to supply the tiles or have the tiles available.
- Be Reliable– Some Handymen often have bad reputations because they don’t show up or return calls. Differentiate yourself from the competition by being reliable. Don’t cancel jobs at the last minute. Show up when you say you will. Build your brand as a reliable handyman.
- Do quality work– Treat your client’s homes as if it were your home. Having satisfied customers can lead to good word of mouth while angry customers can do harm to your business’s reputation.
- Identify your knowledge and skills– You know what you can do and what you can’t. Be honest with your clients. Only take jobs you know you can do and be confident in the quality of work you are producing.
- Hire Employees– You can decide to hire other people who specialize in different areas such as tiling, drywall and plumbing.
- Have References– Clients will often want to check you out before hiring you. Have references ready to give to potential clients.
- Licensing and Registration– Every state has different rules about licensing and registrations. Because handyman businesses may just perform small odd jobs they may not be required to obtain a license however it is a good idea to find out by calling your local building inspector or town hall.
- Liability insurance– When starting a handyman business you should considering getting liability insurance. If clients are not happy with your work or claim you broke something liability insurance can prove to be useful in these situations. Just make sure you know what your insurance policy covers.
- Never stop learning– It never hurts to continue to expand your knowledge about household repairs and gain new skills.
Advertising a Handyman Business
You can advertise your business through the methods listed below. I recommend experimenting with various advertising methods and keep track of which methods are more effective for your business. Stick with the methods that are bringing you high returns and get rid of the ones that don’t.
- Flyers– Determine if you can put up flyers in local grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants, home repair shops and community centers. It is best to ask the owner of these businesses for permission first. Also hand out flyers to passer byes on the street.
- Handyman Business Cards– Create business cards and hand them whenever an opportunity appears. Network as much as possible. Seek recommendations from friends and family.
- Local.com Having a listing at Local.com can help people that are searching for your service or product locally find you.
- Yahoo Local Searches– If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service in your local area your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches– Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Newspaper classified ads– Newspaper ads in your local newspaper can help bring attention to your handyman business.
- Website– You can decide to develop a website to provide clients with access to general information about your handyman business.
- Yellow Pages– Consider buying an advertisement in the yellow pages of your local phone book. You can also include your business in the online version: YellowPages.com.