Starting a Goat Farm

Job Duties

starting a goat farm
When starting a goat farm you can decide to raise goats for thier meat or start a goat dairy and raise them for thier milk. This article will concentrate on starting a goat dairy. Your job duties will include raising/ feeding the goats, keeping their living area clean, and milking them. When raising goats it is essential that you make sure they are properly fed because if your goats are undernourished it can affect milk production as well as reproduction. Goats can be milked twice a day. Another thing to be taken into consideration is their breeding. Goats have four months of pregnancy duration and they breed once a year. Goats can give birth to as many as five kids at a time. The average lifespan of a goat is approximately 12-14 years.

Where will you work?

When starting a goat farm you need land with pasture and browse. The pasture in its vegetative state is ideal for goats because when the pasture plants mature it loses its tastes and digestibility for the goats. During the winter months goats will mostly feed on hay. Grain is also beneficial to goats especially while the goat is growing. You can also feed them commercially prepared high protein feed. They should also be given vitamins or supplements. Goats should have access to fresh water at all times especially in the winter months.

Basic Costs

There are several costs associated with starting a goat farm. When purchasing goats, prices will vary depending on the breed and whether they are purebred. Feed is usually the most expensive cost when raising goats. You can decide to put up a fence to protect the goats from other animals as well as preventing them from escaping or building a pen. If you have a considerable number of goats then milking them in itself is a big task as goats are milked generally twice a day. You can choose to milk the goats with a machine or manually. Whether you use machinery or not, you may want to employ some people according to the size of your number of goats so the salary of your employees is also a part of the costs that you have to take care of.

Tips before Starting a Goat Farm

• Learn as much as you can: Before starting a goat farm get advice from other goat owners. Read as much as you can about goats. Also do research in your area to see how much you can expect to get for your dairy products. Be sure to research if there is enough demand for your dairy products.
  • Be careful with what Goats eat: Keep goats away from poisonous plants Some plants such as Poke Weed and Wilted Cherry are harmful to goats. Goats also have a reputation for eating just about anything: toys, clothing, cookies ect. so watch out for this.
  • Know the Breed: Certain breeds of goats are usually used in a Goat Dairy. These breeds include: Alpine, Nubian, Nigerian Dwarf, Toggenburg, Oberhasli, Sannen and LaMancha. Keep in mind some goats may be mixed as well. You should research the different breeds to find which ones are best suited for your needs. You are better off buying a few high producing goats rather than many low producing. What may appear as a cheap goat may cost you in the long run especially if they have diseases. Look for breeders with strong reputations.
  • Don’t try to take too big a leap upfront: First take into consideration as to what business you can get. Where you can sell the milk and if there is enough demand for it. You should find a buyer before you even start setting up your goat farm.
  • Agreement: It is better to get into an agreement with your customers. That will also help you in retaining your customers as well as planning to expand your business. Fixed customers will mean fixed business and fixed business will mean fixed income.
  • Takes Works: If you are expecting that your goat farm will bring you easy bucks, this is often not the case. Caring for your goats will take daily effort. If you have support of your family and they are willing to help out this will be extremely useful.

Advertising a Goat Dairy

When advertising your dairy products you first need to know whether you will be selling to individuals or processors. However you should be aware that in many states in the US it is illegal to sell your goats milk directly to Individuals for their consumption. To see if this is the case in your state contact the ADGA. However it is legal to use raw milk to produce cheese and sell that to individuals if the cheese is more than 60 days old. If you are planning to sell to processors, make sure there is one near you. Once you do that ask them if they need any more milk producers. To learn about processing your own milk read this article. Also consider if you will be advertising as a certified organic producer.

Not sure about starting a goat farm? See a list of small business ideas

Do you have a business story or experience you would like to share?

Share with us your story on starting a goat farm business.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Blogplay
  • Reddit
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • RSS

45 comments

1. Vikram Singh says:

Sir, I want to start a goat farm in Haryana India .How many acre land is needed for 1000 goats ? And how many area of shed is needed ? How many men power is needed ?Iwould like to know full details. Please send me all details about goatsfarming . Thanking You

2. adlakha says:

Let me introduce myself, I am adlakha from delhi working as Project director in comp and this Goat Farming is my hobby, passion and my side business. This business is taken care by specially by my younger brother who is also an Engineer in delhi.

We are showing our interested in working with you on your project, we can not only supply you Pure Line and certified quality of goats @ 150 to 260 Rs / kg which can be suitable for all the Climates but you have to take special care during 1st Month. We can act as your Design and Supervision Consultant and help you to Design a sustainable and economical shed, planting various type of fodder according to season and availability of land, giving you De-worming and Vaccination Schedule, 24 x7 Service and many more service as agreed

3. shahid says:

Sir,

I want to start a goat farm of 100 goats. Tell me how much land it will require and how to build a shed. What feed is required is required. I would like to know full details. Please send me all details about goatsfarming. Thank you.

4. if u have any qution about goat farming like stablish the farm,fodder,breeds,vaacin,shulter,goat breeds,govt subcidy,loan feel free to call 8053732254,9899726378

5. karanbir singh says:

sir

6. M.Karunakar says:

I interested to small business for goat farm for siddipet (Medak dist) AP. INDIA
    so please advised to how to start (I gate 10Acrs. Land at Siddipet )
    loan & seeds of grass S head facility etc…… please

7. hardeep says:

hello,start up goat farming in ratia distt.fatehabad(haryana) only with 100 goats plz. give details about breeding, required equipments, shed, better quality of breed those tolerate temperature of haryana. more details. and names and addresses of selling breeding and other equipments. thank you very much!!!
    hardeep singh

8. naman says:

dear sir
    i am interested to open a goat farm of 100 goats, plz tell me how many investment is needed
    and how many land is required for this
    thank you.

9. raj kumar says:

dear sir
    and how many land is required for this
    thank you.

10. I would love to learn more on goat farming, which goats are the best to raise in a high desert climate and how much land for about a 100 plus head of goats. I am looking in to some loans for first time farmers, any ideas?

11. Ashok Dhulekar says:

sir

12. vishal says:

Dear sir/madam
    I am planning to start goat farming in Haryana. would like to know a few details like how much area would be required for 100 to 500 goats, What are the availabilities of Fodder, What are the diseases and their vaccinations available, what all other things have to keep in mind at the time of starting and running goat farm?
    regards

13. jagan says:

I like to start a new goat farm in 2 accera i like to get the approximate amount and how many goats can put in the farm.

14. abdulla says:

Sir, I want to start a goat farm inKeral, India .How many acre land is needed for 1000 goats ? And how many area of shed is needed ? How many men power is needed ?Iwould like to know full details. Please send me all details about goatsfarming . How can I feed them if I have no land for grass cultivation? Thanking You

15. George Kabonoki says:

I’ve already started the project and currently i’m having 60 goats.im aiming at tha sun!though its abit expensive….thanks.

16. arun sharawat says:

I want to start goat farming in my village near Rohtak, Pls advice abt capital required & land area

17. Ram KUmar says:

Sir,
    I want to start a goat farm in M.P India .How many acre land is needed for 200 goats ? And how many area of shed is needed ? How many men power is needed ?I would like to know full details. Please send me all details about goats farming . Thanking You
    Thanks

18. Manjeet says:

Sir,
    I want to start a goat farm with 100 goats. I want to know that how many acre land is required for this & how many area for shade is required. Please also tell me about the green food eaten by the goat……….
    Thanks

19. Rana Ajai singh says:

i want to start goat farming . i set up first farm 100 to 200 goats . what i do for this. i have 25 acre land , with water or electric supply 24 hours.labor i have. land for food or others all thing i have . so i am looking for general support by your side . to start farm as soon as possible. if possible call me or give me time i call you. mail all your terms or conditions. i increase unit of farms
    my land location .KHURJA CITY.

20. Taher S. Godhrawala says:

Sir,
    I want to start a goat farm with 200 goats. I want to know that how many land is required for this & how many area for shade is required. Please also tell me about the green food eaten by the goat………And plz tell me how many investments is needed.
    Thanks

21. sameer patel says:

Sir I want to start goat farming, Just let me know the entire procedure with legal documentation , whom and where to contact? I want to start with 500 goats , and what breed is best .. fro where to buy …

22. Balkrishna says:

Sir,
    Thanks

23. Balkrishna says:

Sir,
    Thanks

24. uzma khan says:

Sir, I want to start a organic dairy farming in pakistan. .How many acre land is needed for 1000 cow ? And how many area of shed is needed ? How many men power is needed ? I would like to know full details. Please send me all details about organic dairy farming . Thanking you

25. AKHTAR says:

Sir, I want to start a goat farm in karnataka India .How many acre land is needed for 1000 goats ? And how many area of shed is needed ? How many men power is needed ?Iwould like to know full details. Please send me all details about goatsfarming . Thanking You

26. arvan virk says:

sir
    i want to start a goat farm of 100 goats.sir please tell me how much area is needed and what points should we kept in mind while building the shed. please tell me the all aspects and details of goat farming.thanking you and waiting for your reply………. my main purpose is to collect meat ………

27. dileep says:

Sir,
    I want to start a goat farm in U.p India .How many acre land is needed for 200 goats ? And how many area of shed is needed ? How many men power is needed ?I would like to know full details. Please send me all details about goats farming . Thanking You

28. Shahid Warraich says:

Dear Uzma Khan :
    Your Ideat to start a bussiness with 1000 Cows is good but bit of bigger project.
    I have just sent Dairy Shed From USA for About 8500 Sq feet and It cost me 1 Million Pak Rs.
    I have simmilar Plans but it take some time to reach on goal. I have about 200 Acres of Farm land by river belt .
    If you have any information you can share with me :shahidwarraich68@gmail.com

Thanks

29. james says:

i want too start a goat farm in ireland halve land lookin for inform,ation for on sheds needed halve some sheds and about the milking parlour prices and fencing needed and how much land i need for 100 or two hundred goats good grazing land any information greatly appreciated thanks

30. lateef says:

sir

31. saroj kumar dangol says:

sir
    i ma from nepal near kathmandu? i want to start a goat farm .sir please tell me how much area is needed and what points should we kept in mind while building the shed. please tell me the all aspects and details of goat farming.thanking you and waiting for your reply

32. m.aslam says:

i wish to start stall fed goat farming near kanpur with 100 goats.please give me in detail about goat breeds, sheds/shelter,area and land that requires. thanks

33. avinash says:

sir
    i want to start a goat farm of 2000 goats.sir please tell me how much area is needed and what points should we kept in mind while building the shed. please tell me the all aspects and details of goat farming.thanking you and waiting for your reply

34. KHADEER BASHA says:

sir

35. Rupesh Mate says:

i want to start the goat farm in my home city nagpur. plz provide me info. abt required land, fodders, shelter, marketing. govt schemes,loan etc. so plz give me all information

36. Banigo Sylvanus says:

Sir,
    I want to start a goat farm od 100 goats in Nigeria.How area of land is required and how may manpower is needed? , How many years will it take to double this quantity

Thanks
    Banigo

37. MITHUN GHOSH says:

Sir,
    I want to start a goat farm of 100 goats.sir please tell me hoe much area is needed & what points should we kept in mind while building the shed&how much cost for all this.Please tell me the all aspects & details of goat farming.thanking you & waiting for your reply.

38. shreyas says:

I want to start goat business Wat is initial investment for 50 goats

39. amit singh says:

i want to start the goat farm in my home city kanpur plz provide me info. abt required land, fodders, shelter, marketing. govt schemes,loan etc. so plz give me all information

40. lutfar rahaman says:

i wish to start stall fed goat farming west bengal neer kolkata with 100 goats.please give me in detail about goat breeds, sheds/shelter,area and land that requiresin west bengal . thanks

41. ksh says:

Sir, I want to start a goat farm foro meat in karnataka India .How many acre land is needed for 200 goats ? And how many area of shed is needed ? How many men power is needed ?Iwould like to know full details. Please send me all details about goatsfarming .

Thanking You

42. sathish, erode, tamilnadu says:

hello sir,
    i have started my enquiry for goat farming of 100 goats. guide me or teach me about goat farming.

43. Ilango says:

I have 5 acres of land near Dindigul,TamilNadu. I am keen to start goat farm[shed] with around 100-200 goats. I want to know about the shed details, fodder,breeds- availability-places, govt.schemes, loans
    Thanks

44. Suman Gautam says:

Dear,
    I’m Suman Gautam from Pokhari Chaunri 9, Kavrepalanchok, Nepal. I want to start my small business in the field of Goat farming.
    How many land needed?
    How much money needed to invest?
    How many worker needed?
    Can i start my business in village?
    How many goat needed to start this business?
    what r the factors, scheme?
    Does government, INGo can provide subsidies for me?
    Plz provide me details also other unknown thing which i cannot raise..

45. swank says:

Namaste,

I currently own one female long ear goat. She is scheduled to have her second litter May 2012. I am looking for contacts in Nepal for dairy goats.
    One year into the project, I see the value of having fresh milk on site for each patho/ pathi the herd can produce.

Consider using bamboo for your goat hotel (shed).

Thanks for the information.
    I didn’t grow up raising goats but wouldn’t mind doing it while retired.