There has been a lot of hype lately, about the thousands of dollars to be made in the foreclosure cleaning business. You should always do your due diligence before starting any business, and have realistic expectations about potential costs and profits. If you have a background in construction cleaning or other heavy duty cleaning services, and have the fortitude to clean up other people’s messes then you may want to consider starting a foreclosure cleaning business.
When starting a foreclosure cleaning business you will first need to get an idea of the types of messes you will encounter. You can do this by checking out foreclosure properties. You should take notes on the conditions you find, and the types of equipment and supplies you will need. You will need to consult with disaster cleaning and fire cleaning suppliers. You will have to clean the properties so they are ready for the construction workers. When starting a foreclosure cleaning business you will need to remove all the trash and clean surfaces of the inside of the building. You will have to check into the necessary licenses, insurance and permits. You will also need to make sure the proper authority has checked the structure for safety, before you start working in the building.
Where will you work?
When starting a foreclosure cleaning business you will be working at a variety of places all around your city where the properties are foreclosed and need cleaning. Your customers should be able to reach you easily via your office or a website. Most of your customers will be banks; credit institutions etc. and hence make sure that you are in an area that is easily accessible or noticeable by your potential customers.
When starting a foreclosure cleaning business the basic costs will include hiring a small crew of cleaners. You may want to consider performing background checks on all the employees. You will also need to purchase the necessary cleaning equipment like pressure cleaners, commercial quality vacuum cleaners etc. Since this equipment can be quite expensive you can consider leasing. When starting a foreclosure cleaning business you can set up an office in a suitable area where you can answer customer queries, set appointments etc. When starting a foreclosure cleaning business you will need to advertise. You will need to have the appropriate insurance for your employees and you may also consider insuring the properties against any damage done by you or your employees.
Starting a Foreclosure Cleaning Business Tips
- Provide good training- When starting a foreclosure cleaning business make sure that you instruct your staff and train them to do an excellent job. It is important to make sure that the entire property is completely clean, and all areas are covered. Quality of service is, as in any business, very important.
- Set Competitive rates- Keep your rates at par with the competition. Do the research and see how much your competitors are charging and what kind of services they are providing.
- Make the value-added sales pitch- Customers may be willing to pay more for quality services. So find out about the reputations of your local competitors. If your competition is not delivering the quality service expected, then explain why your services are worth more.
- Promote your Business- Go to where there are foreclosure or real estate investor workshops. Advertise in the programs of community groups, e.g. the local community theater. Big Realtors tend to advertise in these kinds of community-oriented venues. The leaders of the community pay a lot of attention to the advertisers who are supporting community organizations.
- Produce a constant flow of work- Write up and close contracts with several of the institutions that might require your services on an on-going basis so that you have constant inflow of work.
Advertising a Foreclosure Cleaning Business
When advertising your foreclosure cleaning business you should search for ways to place highly targeted ads directed at your potential clients. When starting a foreclosure cleaning business you can test various forms of advertising and track which ones are the most effective for your business in your location. Keep the advertising methods that are paying off and dump the ones that are not.
- Foreclosure and Real estate Investor workshops- Network with potential clients.
- Direct Marketing- Advertise to potential clients who may be interested in your services by sending them postcards, brochures, ect.
- Foreclosure Cleaning Business Cards- Create business cards and hand them whenever an opportunity appears. Network as much as possible.
- Yahoo Local Searches- If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service in your local area your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches- Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Website- Having a website is a good idea for a wholesale distributor. Having a catalog online will give clients an easy way to search through your products and will save you money on paper and printing of the catalogs.