When starting a dump truck business job duties will include loading and offloading materials and garbage and transporting them from one site to another. This job involves lifting heavy materials manually or with the help of machinery.
Where to work
You can choose to approach construction and mining companies since these are ever involved in transporting sand, gravel and crushed stones. Wherever there has been some demolition, then your dump truck services will come in handy. Places that have fire destruction may require your dump truck services as well. Real estate companies often require dump trucks to haul things like soil to their property.
When starting a dump truck business the costs will depend on the size of the business you plan to run. The higher the number of trucks, the higher the start up costs. It is a good idea to start out small and try out the market since dump trucks can be pretty expensive. When starting a dump truck business other basic costs will include insurance and fuel. Also keep in mind while running your dump trucking business you will also have maintenance costs. You can find used trucks at www.truckpaper.com. Some professionals will say not to buy a used dump truck without a warranty because if it does break down, the repairs can be quite costly which can put you out of business. Sometimes you can find really good bargains on dump trucks in surrounding states, therefore don’t be afraid to expand your search to include surrounding states. A dump truck is a big expense so you should do your research and analyze the different options. Some experts will tell you it is a good idea to secure a job before you even purchase the dump truck. Another alternative to buying is leasing.
Tips for starting up a dump truck business
- Get experience- Before buying a dump truck get experience. Drive a dump truck for someone else and see if its really what you want to do.
- Talk to experts- Try to talk to dump truck drivers in your area. Experts in the field can provide you which much valuable information about the dump truck business. Also look at trucking forums This is another site that provides many useful links when starting a dump truck business: Ooida
- Make a business plan- When starting a dump truck business you will be investing a lot of money into your dump truck so you want to make sure you are prepared. Write out your fixed and variable expenses and how much you are expected to make. Research your market and your competition. Is there construction going on in your area? Are they in need of dump trucks? Would they be willing to switch to your dump truck service?
- Set your Business Apart- Show clients that your are dependable and can show up on time. To construction companies time is money, so if you are late you waste their time and money.
- DMV-Your local DMV may have certain requirements needed to drive a dump truck. Ensure you meet all these requirements and take the necessary classes.
- Lease your Dump Truck- Another alternative you have when you own a dump truck is leasing it. You can lease your dump truck to local constructions companies.
Advertising a Dump Truck Business
You can advertise your business through the methods listed below. I recommend experimenting with various advertising methods and keep track of which methods are more effective for your business. Stick with the methods that are bringing you high returns and get rid of the ones that don’t.
- Advertise on your dump truck- Have your business name and contact info on your dump truck. As you move around to different job locations, potential customers will find out about your services
- Contact Construction Companies- get to know local construction companies and tell them about your service. Also check with local paving companies, dirt haulers, etc
- Yellow Pages- You can also use the yellow pages to find construction companies or look under hauling and transportation for companies you can try.
- Word-of-mouth- Word of mouth is the cheapest but can be the most effective form of advertising. Do quality work and leave your customers satisfied and the word will spread.
- Dump Truck Business Cards- Create business cards and hand them whenever an opportunity appears. Network as much as possible. Seek recommendations from friends and family.
- Yahoo Local Searches- If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service in your local area your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches- Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Website- You can decide to develop a website to provide clients with access to general information about your dump truck business.