When starting a copier dealership you should be aware that you may face fierce competition depending on the location you choose. When starting a copier dealership, your job duties will range from displaying models of different brands you choose, respond to queries of potential customers, deliver products that they buy and take care of servicing and maintenance of your products. You can either cater to a particular brand alone like Xerox, HP etc. and acquire exclusive authorized dealership license for that one brand alone, or decide to cater to several brands. In order to be authorized by a certain company they may require you to sell only their products. However authorized dealerships will be more trusted by customers and will get much better support from the parent company. On the other hand, if you’re dealing with multiple brands, you could cater to a wider customer base; so it’s a trade-off that you have to choose.
Where will you work?
When starting a copier dealership, it is better to start with just one sales outlet. When choosing a location for your copier dealership make sure you conduct market research around your chosen city. You should locate your copier dealership where there is demand and not much competition. You can then target residential customers or corporate contracts around the area, this is a choice that should be based on the market research data you gathered. In some areas it will be better to target just residential buyers alone, however if you’re looking to set up the dealership in a prime business district, it may be a better idea to target corporate clients.
When starting a copier dealership basic costs will consist of your service facility, inventory and insurance. You may want to hire employees for sales, servicing and maintenance, delivering orders, picking up machines for maintenance, delivering it back after maintenance etc.
Starting a Copier Dealership Business Tips
- Business License-When starting a copier business contact your local and state government offices in the area of your business. Be sure you have the required licence and permits. It is also a good idea to get insurance for your business.
- Give it time – The copier dealership business is extremely competitive and it can take a few weeks to several months before you establish yourself and become profitable.
- Do stay updated – Be informed about the market and the prevailing trends and prices. Price your service and products competitively.
- Hire Professionals – When starting a copier dealership train your staff well and make sure that they provide the best quality service. Customers are usually willing to pay more if the quality of service is top notch. Be the best in the segment.
- Offer more services– Once your business starts growing you can decide to offer more products or services; for example you can decide to sell toners as well. You can also decide to sell solutions such as faxing, backup, paperless office, and remote service.
- Become Certified– You can decide to become a certified operator or certified technician for the different brands and models of copiers your choose. However you should be aware that this process my be costly.
- Research Competition– Get to know your competition. Which products they are offering? How are they advertising their business? what prices are they charging? What are their strengths and weaknesses? Can you offer your customers something better than what they are offering while still being profitable?
Advertising a Copier Dealership
When advertising your copier business you should search for ways to place highly targeted ads directed at your potential clients rather than the general population. You can test various forms of advertising and track which ones are the most effective for your business in your location. Keep the advertising methods that are paying off and dump the ones that are not.
- Trade magazines and journals– Find magazines and journals which your target market are likely to read and advertise there.
- Catalogs– Potential clients will be able to browse through your products with a catalog. You can also have online catalog on your website which can reduce costs in paper and printing.
- Salespeople– Have salespeople contact potential clients and sell your products.
- Cold calling– call potential businesses and companies who may be interested in doing business with you.
- Copier Dealer Business Cards– Create business cards and hand them whenever an opportunity appears. Network as much as possible.
- Yahoo Local Searches– If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service in your local area your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches– Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Website– Having a website will give clients an easy way to search through your products.
- Association– You can meet with other professionals in the industry and learn much about the business by joining an association.
There is a noticeable trend in the copier dealership business. More and more copier dealerships are offering more variety of products and services; for example there are many copier dealerships who also sell printers, document imaging, network support,and faxing.