When starting a computer reseller business you will be purchasing your computers/ computer parts/ computer accessories from distributors and sellers and reselling them for a profit. Expertise with different computers and components is a must. When running this business your job duties will include showcasing products to customers/ posting ads online, taking orders and passing them on to your distributor, providing support to your customers ect. If you are getting the products from the distributor and shipping it yourself to your customers then you have to deal with logistics. However, you can also opt for drop shipping – an arrangement in which your distributor will ship the products you sold to your customers directly.
Before starting a computer reseller business you should be aware that the computer market is very competitive and you may face fierce competition depending on your location. Therefore you can consider specializing in a specific niche, such as hard to find used computers or computer parts. (Just be sure your niche is in demand and that you will be able to run this business profitably.) Create a business plan and evaluate the various aspects of your business. Answer questions like, who are my competitors? Why should customers choose my business over my competitors? Do I offer something valuable they seek that are not supplied by my competitors? How much do I need to make to be profitable?
Where will you work?
When starting a computer reseller business you can sell your products online using an e-store/ebay.com/craigslist.com or open up a storefront/dealership or do both. Regardless of the method you choose to start your computer reseller business it is recommended that you do your research to ensure you have an idea of what to expect from this kind of business. Though starting an e-store potentially can give you the opportunity to reach your target audience through out the nation or even world-wide, you will also face fierce competition from established web businesses an e-stores. Therefore it can often be beneficial to concentrate on a niche that is in demand. If you are handling logistics as well, you will need to manage these from your local shipping office.
If you are opening a computer reseller dealership or storefront be sure to choose a location where this kind of business is in demand and there is little supply to meet the demand.
When starting a computer reseller business the start-up costs will vary depending on the size of your business and whether you will be selling online or in a storefront/ dealership. Opening a dealership or storefront can be costly. If you have a limited budget you can sell online. You can decide to open an online store or sell on ebay.com and craiglist.com. After you get some experience online and get a feel for this business then you can decide whether you should expand to a storefront or dealership. Another major cost will be you products (computers, computer parts, accessories). You will need to attain these goods at a bargain in order to sell at a competitive price. If you are opening a dealership you will need to hire sales and customer service staff.
Starting a Computer Reseller Business Tips
- Have excellent customer service– When starting a computer reseller business provide the kind of customer service that gives customers the assurance that they will be taken care of at all times. Though dealers are not always expected to give technical support, you should be able to give your customers at least basic support. With Grade A customer service, customers will be willing to pay a little more for orders they can be sure will be backed up with good follow through service.
- Develop well thought out marketing strategies– Price your products on par with competition. Run promotions and campaigns to build up awareness of your brand.
- Maintain relevance– The computer business is always changing. You need to stay ahead of your competitors with your research on new products and trends.
Advertising a Computer Reseller Business
When deciding how to advertise your business, think of ways to best reach your target market (the people most likely to buy from your business). Here are some advertising ideas you can try for your computer reseller business. Test various forms of advertising methods to see which are the most effective for your business. Keep the advertising methods that are bringing you the highest return on investment.
- Computer Reseller Business Cards– Give out your business cards whenever an opportunity appears. Network as much as possible.
- Flyers– Determine if you can put up flyers in local grocery stores, community centers, and more. It is best to ask the owner of these businesses for permission first. Also hand out flyers to passer byes on the street.
- Online Marketing– You can create a website/ ebay store where you can sell your products online. You can also use craigslist.com to sell your products.
- Yahoo Local Searches– If you have a storefront you can include your business in Yahoo Local Searches. If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service in your local area your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches– Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.