When starting a computer repair business your job duty will be to repair, maintain or update your client’s computers. You will also have to recover data from malfunctioning computers. Computers have become a very useful technology serving both personal and business purposes. As the demand for computers continue to rise so does the need for computer repair technicians.
Where will you work?
When starting a computer repair business you can set up your workplace office from home; most of your time however will most likely be spent traveling to the homes of your clients to repair their computers. You can decide to set up an office in a separate location and have your customers come to you but customers appreciate the convenience of having you come to them.
When starting a computer repair business you should have a reliable vehicle so you can travel to your client’s homes. You should also have several technical reference books about computers and their parts. Having Internet access will come in handy when purchasing computer parts or researching information about certain computers and manufacturers. When starting a computer repair business you should should have basic tools such as screw drivers. When buying computer parts look online or find wholesale suppliers who can give you the parts at a discounted rate.
Determine your Target Market– Is there a need for a computer repair business in your community that is not being met? Determine who is your most likely customer. Who is in need of your service and is most likely to become a customer? Look at surrounding competition. What can you offer your customers that your competition can not? It might be better rates or individual service.
Know you Stuff– Never stop learning. Keep yourself informed with the latest computer repair techniques. Don’t agree to complete a job or solve a computer issue if you are not fully capable of doing so.
You can advertise your business through the methods listed below.
- Flyers– Determine if you can put up flyers in local grocery stores, bakeries, restaurants, business supply stores and community centers. It is best to ask the owner of these businesses for permission first. Also hand out flyers to passer byes on the street.
- Computer Repair Business Cards– Create business cards and hand them whenever an opportunity appears. Network as much as possible. Seek recommendations from friends and family.
- Local.com Having a listing at Local.com can help people that are searching for your service or product locally find you.
- Yahoo Local Searches– If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service in your local area your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches– Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Newspaper classified ads– Newspaper ads in your local newspaper can help bring attention to your computer repair business.
- Website– You can decide to develop a website to provide clients with access to general information about your computer repair business.
- Yellow Pages– Consider buying an advertisement in the yellow pages of your local phone book. You can also include your business in the online version: YellowPages.com.
How much to charge
When starting your computer repair business a big question that may arise in your mind is “How much should I charge?” To determine a good pricing strategy look at your surrounding competitors. How much are they charging? Will you be able to compete with them. Though you want to charge competitively you must not undervalue your service. You need to make a profit. You can choose to charge an hourly rate plus the costs of parts or you can provide your client with an estimate before proceeding with the project.