Starting a children’s boutique can be a business idea to consider if you love children and are eager to do something that involves kids. If planned properly, a children’s boutique can turn out to be a very profitable business. There are different ways to set up a boutique for kids and a number of markets to cater to. Along with a variety of children’s items, unique designs can also be sold.
When starting a children’s boutique you should first have enough knowledge of kid’s wear. You have to choose your specialization or niche and decide upon the type of clothing you want to sell. Boutiques are specialty stores and the stock should be restricted to three to five clothing lines. Designer brands, casual and party wear are a few options to be considered. Once the product line has been finalized, you have to search for sources to purchase the inventory. When starting a children’s boutique you can go for distributors and wholesalers based locally and can use the Internet for this purpose. When opening a children’s boutique one has to develop a marketing plan to attract prospective customers. Choosing a good location can make or break your business. You will also have to register the business and obtain the requisite business license.
When starting a children’s boutique basic costs includes inventory, rent, advertising, employees, maintenance of store and setting up the boutique. You can decide to rent or lease a location. Compare alternatives and see which is a better choice for your business.
Where Will You Work
When starting a children’s boutique selecting a site for the boutique is very crucial. The business will more likely succeed if you do market research. This would include determining if the area in question needs such type of a store. Is there already too many competitors? Is there enough demand for your product? How much would the parents in a particular location spend willingly on children’s items and clothing and what kind of services do they expect? These are factors you should look into when determining where to locate your children’s boutique. You may want to consider a location close to other shopping areas that already draw customers. An ideal location is where there is a high population of your target market (parents with kids) and not much competition.
Tips for Starting a Children’s Boutique
Although starting a children’s boutique can be a lucrative business venture, you must keep a few things in mind to be able to gain as much as possible from this undertaking.
- Name- Choose an appealing name for your boutique, like a concept that defines the design of the boutique. It should sound caring and soft, but should not be obscure.
- Location- Choose a location that has significant foot traffic. Consider locations close to other commercial storefronts where your target market is likely to be seen.
- Attract your target market- Organize programs that draw kids and mothers. This is a very cost effective promotional method. Include accessories to widen the range of options available to the customers.
- Show you care- Show genuine interest in the kid’s milestone events thus making parents feel a bit special and they could become dedicated customers.
- Have an Eye for Design-Design the interiors so that they are eye catching. Make it appealing to your target market.
- Be creative- Include an embroidery service or other types of unique services that your customers may be interested in.
- Have enough room-Leave enough space between displays. This will help parents to fit in strollers easily. There should be ample seating place for pregnant women.
- Keep it safe- The dressing areas, customer areas as well as other facilities should be safe and childproof.
Advertising a Children’s Boutique
When starting a children’s boutique you can advertise through the following methods. You can test various forms of advertising methods to see which are the most effective for your business in your location. Keep the advertising methods that are performing the best.
- Walk by Traffic- When starting a children’s boutique your location can be a big factor in attracting walk by traffic.
- Flyers- Determine if you can put up flyers in local grocery stores, nurseries, schools, community centers, and more. It is best to ask the owner of these businesses for permission first. Also hand out flyers to passer byes on the street.
- Children’s Boutique Business Cards- Create business cards and hand them whenever an opportunity appears. Network as much as possible.
- Yellow Pages- Consider buying an advertisement in the yellow pages of your local phone book. You can also include your business in the online version: YellowPages.com.
- Yahoo Local Searches- If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service in your local area your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches- Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Newspaper classified ads- Newspaper ads in your local newspaper can help spread awareness of your boutique.
- Website- You can decide to develop a website to provide clients with access to general information about your boutique as well as sell your products online.
- Ebay- You don’t have to limit your selling to just your boutique, you can also sell items online in Ebay.com.