This article focuses on starting a cell phone retail business. Starting a cell phone business can be a good idea if you notice there is demand for this business and not enough supply to meet this demand. The mobile phone industry is a very fast growing market both nationally and internationally. In fact in many emerging markets, there are more cell phones than computers or TVs. Cell phones which was once considered a luxury is now being considered by many as a necessity.
When starting a cell phone business, your job duties range from showcasing your mobile phones to customers, making a sale, being knowledgeable about cell phone features and responding to customer enquiries. When operating a cell phone business you will also be responsible for studying the upcoming models and trends and shaping your product line to conform to the ever changing mobile phone market. The phone market is constantly evolving with new models being launched almost every month and if people do not find a hot new model that they are looking to buy, you are losing customers as well as reputation. Marketing is very important in this type of market as the competition is fierce.
Where will you work?
When starting a cell phone business most of the time you will be in your dealership. An ideal location would be somewhere with lots of walk by traffic. For example many cell phone businesses are located in shopping malls. If you decide to located at the mall, you can consider renting a kiosk for your cell phone business which is often cheaper than a storefront. Before starting this business make sure you research the market and competition. You want to make sure there is enough demand for your business before making the big investment. Create a business plan and get advice from other entrepreneurs in related industries.
When starting a cell phone business the start-up costs includes the cost of the dealership property itself, setting up the facility, training staff and staff salaries, marketing costs etc. You have to hire staff for sales, customer service, managing logistics etc. The number for each type of staff depends on the scale of your operation and the size of your dealership.
Starting a Cell Phone Business Tips
- Latest Models– Make sure that you have the latest models available and in stock. This is very important in a mobile phone business, as the trends are changing rapidly. Smartphones which have advanced features such as GPS, music, games, photo sharing and more are increasing in popularity rapidily.
- Sales staff must have the basic know-how– Train your staff and make sure they are knowledgeable about the products they are selling. In a store with over a few hundred models, it is easy to get confused and mess up a model with the other. If needed, have different staff cater to different brands or set of brands.
- Accessories are hot cakes– Do not forget to include accessories like cases, chargers, car chargers, batteries etc. There is a big chunk of sales for these.
- Customer Service– Never compromise on quality of service. If you have limited budget, start small but provide excellent customer experience. Do not start big and fall behind in service by cutting costs in quality and number of staff.
Advertising a Cell Phone Business
When advertising your cell phone business you can advertise through the following methods. You can test various forms of advertising to see which are the most effective for your business in your location.
- Flyers– Hand out flyers passer byers. Determine if you can put up flyers in local stores, community centers, and more. It is best to ask the owner of these businesses for permission first.
- Cell Phone Business Cards– Create business cards and hand them whenever an opportunity appears. Network as much as possible.
- Yahoo Local Searches– If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service in your local area your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches– Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Website– You can decide to develop a website to provide clients with access to information about your cell phones. You can also decide to sell your products online