Starting a camper business can be a great business idea for you if you live in an area in which campers are in demand and there isn’t much supply. This business performs particularly well during early springs/ summer when families love to camp out. When starting a camper business your job duties will be to buy a good priced camper and then either rent it out to or sell it for a good profit. Buying and selling campers will be your main job duty in this business. However if you don’t have the capital needed to buy campers you can decide to start as a selling agent in which you will sell the campers on consignment.
When selling on consignment you don’t own the camper, you are just in charge of selling it. However once you sell the camper you get a percentage of the profits. When selling on consignment be sure to have a contract with the owner of the camper so they are aware of what percentage of the profits go to you once the camper is sold. Selling on consignment may be less profitable, however it takes much less capital to start since you will not be buying the campers. It is also less riskier to sell on consignment rather than buying the campers because if you are not able to sell the camper you just return it to the owner and there is no loss to you.
Where will you work?
When starting a camper business a good location is one where there is demand for campers and not alot of competition. You will need a parking lot to showcase and store your campers. You can decide to rent, lease or buy the parking lot. An inexpensive parking lot located near a street with high amount of traffic is ideal. If you are planning on cleaning your campers in this location make sure you have access to electricity and water supply.
When starting a camper business your costs will depend on the size of your business, its location and whether you will be selling on consignment. If you will be buying the campers before selling them then you will require a larger amount of capital. However if you sell on consignment you will not need to make this large investment. However you will be responsible for caring for and watching over the campers since they are not under your ownership. In addition when starting a camper business you will need a parking lot to showcase the campers. Evaluate renting, leasing and buying options for your parking lot and see which option is best for your business. Depending on the size of your camper business you may want to hire staff. Some of the clients will expect you to deliver products in other cities or states. Another basic cost includes advertising. When starting a camper business inquire about the needed licences and permits need to operate this business legally.
Starting a Camper Business Tips
- Check with the local authorities– Before starting your camper business contact the local authorities to know about the rules and regulations as well as the needed licences and permits.
- Keep it Clean-Present your campers in an appealing way. Keep it clean and orderly.
- Keep an Eye for Deals– If you are buying campers keep an eye out for under priced campers. You can find great deals online, in classified ads, and more. Just make sure to inspect the camper to ensure everything works as it should. Also make sure that all your campers have proper documentation to avoid getting a stolen camper.
Advertising a Camper Business
You can advertise your camper business through the methods listed below. I recommend experimenting with various advertising methods and keep track of which methods are more effective for your business. Stick with the methods that are bringing you high returns and get rid of the ones that don’t.
- Brochures– Create brochures for interested customers.
- Camper Dealership Business Cards– Create business cards and hand them whenever an opportunity appears. Network as much as possible. Seek recommendations from friends and family.
- Yahoo Local Searches– If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service in your local area your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches– Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Classified ads– Classified ads can attract customers to your camper business.
- Website– You can decide to develop a website to provide clients with access to general information about your camper business as well as put pictures and information of your current campers for sale.
- Yellow Pages– You can decide to advertise your camper business in the yellow pages
- Sell Online– in addition to selling the campers in your parking lot you can also sell online. Find online classifieds sites. Sites such as craigslist.com and ebay.com can be a great way to reach a wider audience.