When starting a babysitting business your job duties will include feeding and ensuring the well being of the kids under your care. Clients may decide to hire a babysitter due to a busy schedule, an important event or they just need some time away from the kids. As a babysitter you will be responsible for ensuring the child’s safety and alerting the parent/guardian if anything goes wrong.
Where will you Work?
When starting a babysitting business you can decide to provide your service from home or you can care for the kids at your client’s home. An advantage to caring for kids at your own home is that you will be able to care for other kids at the same time. An advantage to caring for kids at their homes is that you have access to their food supplies and materials.
Costs for starting a babysitting business are relatively low. All the supplies you will need can usually be found in your home or the home of your clients. If you are working out of your home you may want to stock up on food, snacks and juice. If you are caring for infants you can decide to store some diapers, baby powder and other baby supplies, however your client will usually bring you these supplies. If you are working out of your client’s home they should supply you with all the necessities.
- Be sure to keep small objects away from children as they like to put things in thier mouth and can potentially choke.
- It is a good idea to keep a first aid kit or bandages in case the child gets hurt.
- Be prepared for an emergency. Always have contact numbers available. Ask the child’s parent or guardian what procedures he/she would like you to take in case of an emergency.
- If you are between the ages of 11 to 15 you can decide to take a babysitting course in your local American Red Cross. You can decide to take CPR classes as well. This can help ease worried parents.
- If caring for infants be sure to put up baby safety gates where necessary to ensure the infant doesn’t try going down the stairs or to other unsafe areas.
Advertising a Babysitting Business
- Word-of-Mouth – When starting a baby sitting business word of mouth can be a very effective advertising strategy. Tell everyone you know about your services. Ask current clients to reccomend your services.
- Flyers– Determine if you can put up flyers in local grocery stores, community centers and elementary schools. It is best to ask the owner of these businesses for permission first. Also hand out flyers to passer byers on the street.
- Babysitter Business Cards– Create business cards and hand them whenever an opportunity appears.
- Yahoo Local Searches– If you include your business in the Yahoo Local Searches, when people search for your service in your local area your business will appear in the list. To add your business to Yahoo local search, enter the term “add business to yahoo local search” in Yahoo.com and click on the first link.
- Google Local Searches– Google has a local search as well. To add your business to Google local search, enter the term “add business to google search” in Google.com and click on the first link.
- Local.com Having a listing at Local.com can help people that are searching for your service or product locally find you.
- Look online– Take advantage of online sites such as SitterCity.com and craigslist.org to find clients.
- Newspaper classified ads– Newspaper ads in your local newspaper can help get the word out about your babysitting business.