What makes a Good Manager?
Each business owner may think differently on how to manage employees. Some experts believe when managing employees a manager should be stern and strict. Someone who is respected and feared. Others believe a manager should be your friend. Someone who is positive and easy to talk to. I say a balance between the two makes a good manager: Someone who is a respected positive leader. Managing employees doesn‘t come easy for everyone. A manager’s tasks include delegating tasks, enforcing rules, motivating employees, firing employees and more.
A manager is responsible for tasks such as:
- Setting goals- When managing employees it is important to set goals. Setting goals gives employees something to work hard to achieve.
- Teaching/ coaching employees- Employees should be properly trained. Taking the time to teach and coach employees will be well worth it. Failure to do so can result in an unprepared employee.
- Effectively communicating to employees- When managing employees it is important for a manager to be able to effectively communicate to employees. As their manager, an employee should be able to talk to you about their concerns, and you should take their concerns seriously. You should also be able to delegate tasks. A manager should never degrade or mistreat an employee.
- Overseeing the completion of tasks- How would you know if the tasks you delegate are being completed if you don‘t oversee the completion of the tasks? Lazy employees may avoid doing certain tasks if they think they can get away with it. However you should also give them some independence to show them that you trust them to get the job done. Give them an opportunity to get the tasks completed and if you return and see that the task was not completed then you can calmly bring this to their attention.
- Motivating Employees- Motivating employees can benefit your business because motivated employees will invest much more effort into their jobs. Employees like to feel that their hard work is appreciated. Incentives and rewards for a job well done can be used as a tool for motivating employees. Read Ways to Motivate Employees for tips and advice.
- Enforcing the Rules- If you don’t enforce the rules, employees will constantly break them. Demonstrate to employees that rules are there for a reason, as guidelines to ensure a safe and pleasant work environment.
- Firing Employees- Firing employees is no fun but it is essential. A business is only as strong as its weakest link. If you have employees that are only bringing negativity to your business, it is best to let them go. Read How to Fire an Employee for tips and advice.